Hallow-Ends (Halloween) ✍️
Before, when October arrived, my family and I used to look forward to trick-or-treating and hunting for upcoming Halloween activities at our local malls. My children even wore fun outfits inspired by Woody and Jessie from Toy Story. And, I enjoyed seeing my kids happy, I didn't see any harm in it...at that time.
Back then, I fully embraced the season. I loved decorating our home with plastic pumpkins, ghost masks, spider webs, and skeleton witches to create a spooky atmosphere. I intentionally aimed for that hair-raising, chilling aura, subtly hinting that it was a time for horror-rific! I even remember laughing as frightened neighborhood kids walked past our carport, noticing our witch decor moving in the wind and saying, “Hala! May moo-moo oh!”
Looking back, however, I’ve begun to view those choices through a different lens. While many see it as innocent fun, I started questioning the wisdom of intentionally creating environments that cause fear, even if it's just a mild case of anxiety or a racing heart, especially for young fragile children.
For a long time, I treated October 31 as an ordinary, harmless holiday. It is so easy for us to become desensitized to the themes of darkness and fear that define the season, especially since these practices have been passed down through generations. Often, without realizing it, we end up celebrating imagery that directly contradicts the beauty, peace, and life we truly desire for our families year after year.
Imagine if we were openly invited to step into a physical place of danger or darkness; our natural response would be to turn away and flee. Yet during this time of year in celebrating Halloween, we find ourselves willingly participating by meticulously applying makeup and face paint tediously done, carefully piecing together costumes to look like terrifying creatures that represent the dark side.
On October 31, whether on TV programs or face-to-face in the malls, you see them everywhere: a man holding a severed head, a hunchback in monastic clothes carrying a dim lamp, a Dracula with blood dripping from his mouth, a witch with her broom, or a zombie-like figure with an eye or brain sticking out and lips wide open. It is a sea of disturbing images designed to evoke dread.
While many join these gatherings purely for a lighthearted evening of entertainment, the spiritual reality is much deeper. I’ve personally realized that we don't have to compromise or make excuses to participate in something that doesn't align with our deeper values especially when it comes to our faith in Christ.
The enemy of our souls, Satan, our adversary, the one being exalted during Halloween, doesn't look at things lightly, and he has no roo, for empathy or compassion. When we treat this season as just a harmless, passing holiday, we might inadvertently open doors to negative and spiritual weights that affect our homes and our families in ways we don't realize.
The heartbreaking truth is that our modern culture has made themes of darkness so mainstream that we willingly bring them right into our living rooms, or intentionally visit venues and parties dedicated to celebrating them.
Think of this simple analogy: during an election campaign, people wear the colors of the leader they support to show unity with their vision. Some wear t-shirts with the candidate's name or image to show they are one with that politician. In a similar way, our choices in celebration reflect what we want to focus on. Whether we are aware of it or not, by observing this day through its traditional themes, we are aligning ourselves with the enemy's camp.
Scripture reminds us that God is the author of life, while the enemy seeks only to steal, kill, and destroy (John10;10). Because God loves us so much, He warns us to stay away from things rooted in darkness, not to restrict our fun, but to protect our hearts, our peace, and our spiritual well-being. If we truly want to protect our loved ones, the best thing we can do is distance ourselves and them from celebrations that honor the culture of fear and darknes.
The contrast is simple but deep:
• The enemy promotes darkness, dread, division and death.
• Jesus offers us light, absolute peace, and eternal life.
Jesus has already won the victory, and He gently invites us to walk on His side. As we look at our lives, it’s a beautiful opportunity to ask ourselves: If my heart is drawn to the things of heaven, do my earthly celebrations reflect that? For me, I’ve come to realize that I want my choices to reflect life, love, and light instead.
Four years ago, I experienced a turning point when I came to know Jesus. The anxieties, worries, and fears I carried for so long were replaced by a quiet, steady faith. My spiritual life was awakened, and I am deeply grateful to the Lord for showing me a path filled with genuine truth and purpose. Having grasped Christ’s sacrificial, redeeming love on the cross, I feel a gentle but clear calling to share that same warmth, light, and guidance with others who might currently feel overwhelmed, fearful, or purposeless.
Rather than judging or condemning anyone, my hope is simply to encourage my friends, family, and readers to look closely at our traditions. Let us choose what truly aligns with God’s will, the things that bring genuine peace and life to our homes and loved ones. Jesus offers us light and true peace. Walking with Him has brought so much joy into my journey, and it’s a path I humbly invite others to consider as well.
Let’s choose to step away from the shadows of the darkness and walk closely in the light. Just like the wise men who saw the star, pursued its brightness, and followed it straight to Jesus, we too can choose to follow His guiding light every single day. Let us protect our homes, cherish the truth, and always choose the beautiful, marvelous Light of Christ.
It’s a beautiful thing to ponder: as followers of Christ, our ultimate hope is heaven, it’s a place completely defined by perfect light, pure joy, and the glorious presence of God. When we think about it that way, it’s worth gently asking ourselves if the things we allow our hearts to be drawn to today like the stories or feasts of horror or themes of dread do truly align with the beautiful eternity we are looking forward to? Let’s choose to set our minds on things above, training our hearts to love what is pure, peaceful, and pleasing to Him☝️
Glory and praise be to the Light of The World, Jesus Christ of Nazareth!
Comments
Post a Comment