CHRIST Is A Need✍️

What Does it Mean to Be Called a Christian?

What does it mean to be called a Christian? I once had a distorted concept of Christianity, and I think a lot of people feel the same way. I used to think Christians were just people who changed their religion, or merely members of a moral sector or a spiritual group.

But everything became different when Jesus shed His inner light and awakened my sleeping spirit. By reading the Bible, I learned what it really means to be a Christian. The truths of Jesus Christ of Nazareth: His birth, His painful sacrifice on the Cross for our sake, and His purposeful resurrection, gradually unfolded before me.

From  Children's Books to Absolute Truth.

As a deep desire grew within me to know more about Him, I began to see His amazing works in a new light. Miracles like Jesus walking on the sea or feeding the 5,000 with just five loaves and two fish, as well as Old Testament wonders like Jonah being swallowed by the whale, used to sound just like the fairy tales and children's stories I read growing up. But it turns out they are real evidence of a supernatural power that truly broke into human history through Jesus, the Son of God. I became fascinated by how He spent His earthly life and how He dealt with the people of His era. Back then, powerful religious leaders and groups, such as the Scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees, Romans, Publicans, and Samaritans, obsessed over keeping religious laws but despised Jesus' teachings.

They even said terrible, false things about Him, accusing Him of blasphemy. Yet, Jesus showed love even when people hated Him. As a follower of Christ, I aspire to have that same Christlike attitude, to return love for hate. So help me, God.

What's In a Name?

Thinking about how much Jesus suffered for us hits me hard. It makes me question myself: Is my heart actually changing? Is this what it means to be a Christian? Literally, the word 'Christian' is the name of 'Christ' connected to the letters I-A-N, which some say stands for "I Am Nothing." If you remove Christ, life becomes completely empty and all is vain. Therefore, a Christian is someone who is closely connected to Jesus in a special, one-on-one friendship. A church building or a religious group cannot make you a Christian; only your personal bond with Jesus Christ can do that.

I have heard incredible stories of tangled, messy, broken lives transformed by Jesus: hearts of stone turned into hearts of flesh, bitter mouths turned into sources of encouragement, sickness turned into healing, and isolation turned into fellowship. I have heard drug addicts and ex-convicts converted into preachers and missionaries, sharing the good news of Jesus.

My Personal Journey: From Blindness to Grace

I, too, have experienced God's saving grace. Before I came to know Christ, I was wretched and could not admit my own sinfulness. Self-reflection and meditation were hard for me to do because I was blinded. I always thought I was right and that nothing was wrong with me; I was so full of pride.

But now, I can see.

Now I confess that I am a sinner, and I realize that I am no better than anybody else. Before Christ, I was lost, with no direction and no purpose in life. My prayer time wasn't raw or authentic. It just consisted of memorized words said out of obligation. I didn't actually know the truth since I wasn't personally reading the Bible yet. The word of God I knew was only what I heard during Mass or at school, but I had never looked into the Scriptures with my own eyes. I was lost, but now I am found. Jesus met me; Jesus found me. Indeed, 'twas amazing grace, once I was blind, but now I see; I was lost, but now I'm found."

Even now, I acknowledge that I still stumble to sin and make mistakes. I truly need a Savior, for I cannot save myself, and I thank Jesus for coming into my life and saving me from my own self-destruction. In response to God's goodness, I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and was baptized in 2017.

Defining a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N

As someone saved by Jesus out of grace, I cannot stop talking about how good He is! I praise His name when I am happy, and when I am afraid or facing dilemmas, I rely on Him to help me get through. I want Jesus to be the absolute center of my life. I’m reminded of how much I need Him every single day, which is exactly why I created my own acronym to define what being a CHRISTIAN means to me: "Christ-Is-A-Need." For that final letter "N" (standing for "NEED"), I broke it down even further to capture the true essence of who Christ is to me.

No one and nothing else in this world can satisfy our deepest longings; only Jesus can fill our hungry souls and give us the strength to endure this earthly life into eternity.

He is my:
N – Nourishment: Jesus isn't just an addition to my life; He is my daily sustenance. Just like my body needs food and water to survive, my soul needs Him to truly live. When I spend time in prayer, read His word, or feel His presence, He feeds my spirit, satisfies my deepest hunger, and gives me the strength to keep going when I feel completely drained. He is the ultimate fuel for my faith.

E – Eternal Hope: This world is full of temporary fixes and fleeting moments, but Jesus gives me a hope that never fades. It’s an anchor for my soul. No matter how messy or difficult life gets right now, I have the unshakable confidence that my future is secure in Him. This hope doesn't just point to heaven someday, it gives me the strength and peace to face whatever happens today, and no matter how I messed up,  I am still loved by Christ and nothing shall separate me from His love, nothing can snatch me away from God.

E – Emmanuel: This means "God with us," and it’s the ultimate comfort of my faith. Jesus isn't a distant God watching from far away. Through the Holy Spirit, He is spiritually present right inside me every single day. In my moments of loneliness and solitude, I know that I’m not alone and will never be. He is always with me, walking beside me through every single step.

D – Deliverer and Defender: Jesus is both my rescue and my shield. As my Deliverer, He sets me free from the weight of my past, my fears, and my mistakes, pulling me out of the dark places when I can't save myself. As my Defender, He stands guard over my heart and mind. I don't have to fight my battles alone or constantly protect myself, because I know He is actively fighting for me and keeping my soul safe.

A Call to Surrender

So, let’s stop trying to fill our lives with worldly things that never actually satisfy us. Let’s lean into the beautiful truth of what it means to be a Christian. Take a deep breath, and just surrender your life fully to Christ. He is, in truth, everything we need. And when we have Him, we lack nothing. Yes, we are completely whole when we have Jesus ✝️

📖I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me. --Galatians 2:20



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SEARED CONSCIENCE

Rewinding the 'Rewind'🎬✍️

The Flagrum/Flagellation of Jesus (HolyWeek2024)✍️